On September 20, Lynch Chapel United Methodist Church located at 230 Dawson Street, Pastored by Reverend Dr. Marilyn M. Watkins, will celebrate 151 years of religious service in the Clinton community. Due to COVID-19 pandemic and the need for social distancing, worship service will be conducted at 11:45a.m via conference call. Dial 1 516-387-8895 to hear worship service.
A journalist, J.G.H.Bowman, once said that “only when we glance back on the past by which we have ascended…do we see the present in the light of the past. So it is that the members of Lynch Chapel U.M.Church celebrate 151 years of their existence at its presence site.
This Church dating back to the Pre-Civil War period was founded and organized by Rev. George Washington; a slave who had a dream to one day become a minister. His family obtained their freedom and finally made their way to a small rural town called Clinton, Mississippi. Heeding the call to minister he held worship services in a building located on Raymond Road near the old the truck stop location. There were no Methodist Churches for Blacks in Clinton so, Rev. Washington organized and built one. He secured a loan, purchased land and in 1869, built a small frame building on the present church site which is now Dawson Street, and it was given the name Lynch Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. Lynch Chapel underwent a name change as a result of the merger in 1968 with the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Thus, Lynch Chapel United Methodist Church emerged.
Through time the church has experienced many changes, but by God’s grace, the Church mission is to be intentional to Preach, Teach, Serve and Love Gods people.