Skip to content

Finalists for the 2017 C Spire Gillom and Howell Trophies Named

The finalists for the 2017 C Spire Gillom Trophy and the C Spire Howell Trophy have been named. C Spire will be presenting these awards to the most outstanding women’s and men’s basketball players in the state. A state-wide panel of media vote for the top three players in each category and then fans vote online at www.csopavoting.com. The finalists will attend a banquet at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum on Monday, March 6th beginning at 11:30 a.m. and the winners will be announced at that time. This year marks the 13th presentation for the Howell Trophy and the 10th for the Gillom Trophy.

 

Named in honor of MSHOF Hall of Famers, Peggie Gillom-Granderson and Bailey Howell these C Spire awards signify excellence by those receiving the award. Gillom-Granderson played and coached at Ole Miss and still holds many of their records while Howell averaged over 27 points per game in his years at Mississippi State prior to an All-Star NBA career. Both are expected to attend the ceremony.

 

The finalists for the C Spire Gillom Trophy are:

Brittany Dinkins of University of Southern Mississippi

Victoria Vivians of Mississippi State University

Morgan William of Mississippi State University

 

The finalists for the C Spire Howell Trophy are:

Sebastian Saiz of University of Mississippi

Devin Schmidt of Delta State University

Quinndary Weatherspoon of Mississippi State University

 

Statistics through games played February 25, 2017:

Games FG% 3PT% FT% RPG   Steals BLK PTSG
Dinkins 29 0.481 0.250 0.67 7.1 45 5 18.4
Vivians 29 0.382 0.299 0.762 4.5 46 9 17.2
William 29 0.468 0.342 0.82 2.0 51 3 10.2
Saiz 29 0.475 0.300 0.746 10.8 30 30 15.1
Schmidt 26 0.377 0.317 0.835 6.6 38 5 22.9
Weatherspoon 26 0.457 0.387 0.778 5.1 44 7 16.5

 

7 different players received votes for the Gillom Trophy while 9 different players got votes for the Howell Trophy. Fan voting begins Monday, February 27 at 8:30 a.m. and continues through 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 4 th . The C Spire fan voting will be at www.csopavoting.com. Media votes count for 90% of the final count and the fan vote the remaining 10%. Tickets for the C Spire Gillom and the C Spire Howell Trophies are available at www.msfame.com or at the Hall of Fame office at 1152 Lakeland Drive, Jackson.

Leave a Comment