The Mississippi College women’s basketball team recorded a season sweep of the University of Montevallo with an 80-64 win on Thursday evening in Montevallo, Ala. MC improved to 8-14 on the season and 4-12 in the Gulf South Conference. UM fell to 2-22 and 0-16 in the league.
Mississippi College opened with a 9-1 run to open the third quarter and extend its lead to 46-30 with 6:28 left in the third period. Three Lady Choctaws added points during the run
Inside the Box Score
· Five Lady Choctaws scored in double figures in the win led by Zariah Matthews’ 16 points. Emery Wilson added 14 points followed by 13 from Moriah Hurst. Olivia Mabry and Kaitlyn Thompson each added 10 points.
· Hurst grabbed a team-best 10 rebounds, including nine defensive boards.
· Mississippi College shot 53.2 percent from the floor and a 93.3 clip from the free throw line.
· Kiya Sain and De’Asia Marsh led the Falcons with 12 points each.
· Montevallo shot 32.9 percent from the field.
Inside the Flow
· MC opened the game with a 7-0 run and held a 19-9 lead at the 3:17 mark of the opening quarter.
· The Lady Choctaws held a 14-point lead at the end of the first quarter (26-12).
· MC led 37-29 at the intermission despite being outscored by six in the second quarter.
· The Navy and Gold outscored UM 24-6 in the third quarter headlined by a 9-1 run over the first three and half minutes of the third quarter.
· MC grabbed its largest lead of the game with 32 seconds left in the third quarter at 61-35.
· MC maintained its 20-plus point lead from the 1:35 mark of the third quarter to the final 13 seconds of the game.
· Thompson scored in double figures for the fifth time in her career and the second this season.
· Hurst posted her first collegiate double-double. The Jackson, Miss., freshman becomes the fourth Lady Choctaw to record a double-double this season.
· Hannah Shafer scored her first collegiate points and grabbed her first rebound on the night.
· Marlee Tubby recorded her first collegiate rebound.
· The 80 points tie the most scored by Mississippi College this season.
· The shooting percentage was the most by MC this season and the second best free throw percentage this season.
· The 26 points in the first quarter are tied for second most scored in a period for the Lady Choctaws. MC scored 27 in the second quarter against Tougaloo on Dec. 30.
· The contest was the second time this season five Lady Choctaws scored in double figures in a single game. MC is 2-0 in those contests.
Mississippi College travels to Livingston, Ala., on Saturday, Feb. 10 to face the University of West Alabama. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.