RESOLUTIONS FOR AN EMERGENCY-FREE 2019: FROM AMR MEDICS
Huge numbers of folks join fitness clubs as a New Year’s resolution and paramedics at AMR say that’s a great start – and they suggest these additional 10 resolutions for staying safe from emergencies in 2019:
- I’ll protect myself from heart attack and diabetes not only by exercising regularly but also by cutting my sugar, fat and salt intake and working to maintain recommended weight.
- I resolve to wear my safety belt on every trip, no matter how short or long. My car will not move until everyone in it is buckled up.
- I resolve to be a safe driver by observing the speed limit, obeying other traffic laws and staying off the phone while behind the wheel. I’ll make sure my brakes, windshield wipers, lights and other safety equipment stay in good condition. I will never drink and drive.
- I resolve to take a CPR course or recertify. I’ll encourage my family and friends to do so, too.
- I will make sure my mailbox address or house number are easy to read from the road both day and night. (Even with GPS, rescuers can’t help you until they reach you.)
- I’ll keep my family safe from major injury by locking poisonous substances and guns in cabinets and making our home more secure from falls (such as by installing night lights).
- I’ll prevent and prepare for a house fire by (a) checking our smoke detector once a month, (b) ensuring we have fire extinguishers handy and (c) developing and practicing a family fire escape plan. If our home doesn’t already have a carbon monoxide detector, I’ll install one.
- I resolve that every family member will learn to swim well.
- I’ll teach our children how to call 911 properly. (See YouTube for lots of tutorials.)
- I’ll work to keep a positive outlook, strengthen my relationships with others and do more to manage my stress, because happier people have longer, heartier lives.
AMR wishes everyone a wonderful New Year!