The Mississippi College baseball team claimed the Gulf South Conference series over Union University in a marathon, 13-8 contest. MC improved to 10-7 on the season and 5-1 in conference play while the Bulldogs dropped to 7-9 and 2-4.
The Navy and Gold used a seven-run, eighth inning to claim the five-run contest and clinch the series.
All nine Choctaws in the order logged hit as the team combined for 13 in the contest. MC had three players record multiple hits in the game led Markarius Lee with three hits. Ken Scott notched a roster-best four RBI just ahead of Grant Barber with three. Scott and George Farid had a pair of hits each.
Sam Ciaccio (2-0) took the win on the mound as he tossed a third of an inning. Ciaccio was one of six Choctaw hurlers to toe the rubber in the outing.
Mississippi College returns to action on Wednesday, March 4 as it hosts William Carey University. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.
GAME 3: Mississippi College 13 | Union 8
DATE: Sunday, March 4, 2020
LOCATION: Clinton, Miss. | Frierson Field
RECORDS: Choctaws 10-7, 5-1 GSC | Bulldogs 7-9, 2-4 GSC
HOW IT HAPPENED
– The Choctaws held a 6-2 advantage through the first seven innings of action. Brandon Broussard and Ken Scott each recorded home runs during the stretch to help the home team to a four-run lead.
– Union pulled within one run in the top of the eighth as Josh Bozoian connected on his second home run of the day with a three-run shot down the left field line. The Bulldogs gained their second lead of the game and first since the second as A’Darius Pugh singled through the left side to plate a pair. Patrick Music added the final, Union run of the frame with a RBI-double down the right field line and gave the Bulldogs an 8-6 advantage.
– Mississippi College wasn’t to be outdone at home as it responded with seven runs in the home half of the eighth. Barber regained the lead as he cleared the bases with a triple down the right field line. After Farid singled through the left side to score Barber, Scott placed the contest out of reach with a three-run home run to center field – his second of the day.
ON THE MOUND
– Zack Ingram tossed 3.1 innings in the start as he allowed two runs on four hits with a pair of strikeouts and one walk.
– Garrett Hollinghead pitched the next 3.2 frames as he fanned four and allowed two runs on one hit with three walks.
– Bryce Lewis, Austin Chastang and Ciaccio each combined for action in the eighth.
– Tommy Taborda pitched the final frame and added a pair of strikeouts.
INSIDE THE BOX
– With the three home runs, Mississippi College extends its total to 21. Valdosta State ranks second in the conference with 16. Broussard becomes the seventh different Choctaw with a home run this season.
– With the four hits in the game, Scott becomes the MC player with four hits in a game since former Choctaw Blaine Crim on April 20, 2019 at West Alabama.
– The 13 runs matched a season-high. MC compiled 13 in a win over Quincy earlier this season.
(Written By Mississippi College Athletics)