JACKSON, MS (December 2, 2020) The Blitz 16 “Player of the Year” Awards will air on Jackson’s 16 WAPT Friday, December 4 at 11:35pm. The program will feature all ten “Player of the Week” winners from the 2020 high school football season and will announce the “Player of the Year” and “Coach of the Year” winners.
In past years, the Blitz 16 “Player of the Year” awards were given during the annual players banquet at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame, but due to COVID-19 concerns, this year’s program will instead be broadcast.
“While we will miss congratulating these outstanding athletes in person, our hope is that by broadcasting the awards, not only will we be protecting the health of all involved, but we’ll be sharing their accomplishments with a much larger audience,” says Mike Neelly, President and General Manager of 16 WAPT. “This was a particularly difficult season due to the pandemic, and we look forward to celebrating what these young men have accomplished despite the year’s daunting challenges.”
The half-hour program will feature profiles on each nominee, a look inside the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame “Player of the Week” commemoration program, and a special address by Gene Delcomyn, senior executive vice president of BankPlus.
This year’s nominees include:
- Kamp Shepherd – Tri-County Academy
- Kevin May – St Joseph Catholic School
- Semaj Peel – Canton Academy
- Trent Singleton – Raymond High School
- Caleb Miller – Clinton High School
- Zach Beasley – MRA
- Zy McDonald – Ridgeland High School
- Richard Mays – Ridgeland High School
- Christopher Watson – St Joseph Catholic School
- Jackson Conn – Jackson Academy